International Art Competitions to Consider
Looking for your next project or just want to challenge yourself in a new way? Consider international art competitions.
Not only are competitions a great experience, but they also include a whole host of benefits you can reap as an attending artist such as feedback on your work, more space to practice and experiment, networking, and winning potential prizes to help fund your artistic endeavors.
Interested? Here are some of the major upcoming competitions in the new year to check out:
Cubebrush Mini Art Comps
Cubebrush just started mini-art competitions–a quick, yet challenging, test of an artist's skill. The best part? It boasts a big prize from incredible companies in the industry and gives artists some serious exposure on social media.
How to Participate: Simply watch our social media and community forum to catch the announcement of the next one.
Prize: It varies, with the last from Clip Studio Paint worth over $1000.
Artists Magazine Annual Art Competition
The Artist's magazine is hosting its 39th annual art competition. This competition has a variety of categories for new and emerging artists to compete in and an overall grand prize that is open for all entries.
- Date: The final deadline is set for May 29, 2022, and winners will be announced on or before 30th August 2022
- How to Participate: Members and non-members can purchase early bird entries for just $35 each until April 3, 2022. Non-members pay slightly more at $40 per entry.
- Prize: The Grand Prize winners can earn a cash sum of $3000 for first place (Gold), $2500 for second place (Silver) and $2000 for third place (Bronze). In addition to these prizes, there are category winners with 5 first place awards of $1500 each.
The Lumen Prize for Digital Art
For the past ten years, the Lumen Prize has celebrated artists around the world who work in technological mediums. This prize establishes a community of renowned digital artists not just for its winners, but also those longlisted and shortlisted. Additionally, selected artists will have the opportunity to participate in the awards program, with a chance to exhibit their work in London.
- Date: Entries for the new year will be accepted starting February 15, 2022. The shortlist and winners will then be announced in September and October.
- How to Participate: An entry with two works costs $38, which includes submission of a primary image or video and three supporting images. All art that engages with technology in one way or another, such as CG art, is eligible for submission.
- Prize: Prizes range from $500-$1000 and include awards for best still image, moving image, 3D/ interactive, and more. The top prize is the Gold award, which has a cash value of $4000 and is won by the overall highest ranked entry from the various categories of art.
The Animago Award is a globally renowned competition that has recognized exceptional work in 3D animations and stills, visual effects, visualization, and design for over twenty years. Along with the competition is an international conference celebrating the newest innovation in the field, as well as an exhibition with the prize winners and other notable artwork.
- Date: The submission deadline is typically in June and the conference is held in October.
- How to Participate: There is no entry fee and no cap on the number of submissions, as long as it has not been entered into the same competition a prior year. All works are submitted online via Animago’s registration portal here.
- Prize: There are several categories for both film and still works, the largest of which is Best Young Production totaling €3,000.
World Illustration Awards
The World Illustration Awards is one of the most prestigious competitions in the field of illustration. It elevates the work of illustrators from around the globe and helps connect artists to other creatives in the industry.
- Date: The deadline to submit is 14 February 2022, and awards will be announced during an online ceremony and subsequently featured in the Online Showcase in November.
- How to Participate: The WIA has a detailed 10 Step Guide on how to enter the competition. To apply, you must register on the WIA website, select what projects to enter into which category, fill in the form with the necessary information, and pay. Association of Illustrators (AOI) members receive a 20% discount, so make sure to sign in before entering if you are a member.
- Prize: The WIA cash prizes range from £1000-4330 and will be awarded to 20 winners. Categories include Overall Professional Winner, New Talent, Innovation, and AOI Member Award.
Strokes of Genius: The Best of Drawing
Strokes of Genius 14 gives artists a chance to win awards as well as publications and is organized by Artists Network and Artists Magazine. The Best of Drawing competition is tailored for artists whose skills are best showcased through drawing, both paper and digital.
- Date: The Early Bird deadline is on March 7, 2022 and the final deadline is on April 28.
- How to Participate: To enter, you will need to create an account through Submittable or an existing Google or Facebook account. Then simply fill out the entry form and upload the images. The Early Bird entry fee is $30 per image for nonmembers and members, which increases to $40 for nonmembers until the final deadline.
- Prize: The cash prize for the First Place Winner is $2,000, Second Place is $1000, and Third Place is $500. In addition, ten Honorable Mentions will receive a $100 ArtistsNetwork.com gift card.
Check the Forums
Don't miss out on Cubebrush's mini art competitions happening right now! Get the details on the community forums.