2D Game Assets: Where, What, Why, How
Alongside the rise of mobile entertainment came the reincarnation of 2D games. And with it, a market for 2D assets. Fortunately, the demand is two-fold—it both serves studios and individuals looking to save time but also artists who have leftover assets or a passion for creating.
Whether you’re looking to buy or to sell, we’ve compiled a guide of everything you need to know about 2D game assets:
Where to Buy and Sell 2D Game Assets
While most 2D assets come with a price tag, if you know where to look, you can also find an assortment of basic assets for free. Remember, it goes both ways— as a buyer, you want to find the best price, and as a seller, you want to make sure you’re being compensated fairly. Here are the top marketplaces that provide just that:
Cubebrush is a comprehensive marketplace for the entire world of CG, from 2D to 3D assets, as well as tutorials, tools, and much more. With digital stores that are easy to navigate on both ends, Cubebrush is the ultimate hero for both buyers and sellers.
Buyers can find a plethora of free and affordable options, while sellers have access to marketing and a 95/5 revenue split.
GameDev Market (GDM) is a site tailored to indie developers (independent individuals or small studios who aren’t funded by larger corporations). They offer buyers an array of assets, including 2D, 3D, audio, and graphical user interface, or GUI.
Sellers can submit assets to be reviewed by GDM, and if accepted and sold, earn 70% of the assets’ sales.
With over 1.5 million digital services from over 100,000 sellers, Gumroad is an expansive e-commerce platform where creatives can market their products.
With the ability to sell digital, physical, pre-orders, and memberships, Gumroad gives sellers the flexibility to test the waters. Although the content is plenty, as someone looking to buy or sell 2D assets in particular, you may find yourself searching to find exactly what you need.
As one of the largest commercial game assets catalog, Unity Asset Store is filled with a range of 2D and 3D models, templates, and tools for game developers. Although the platform was developed by Unity, buyers do not have to go through their engine to use the assets.
What Are the Most Popular 2D Game Assets
2D game assets come in all shapes and sizes. Here’s a breakdown of the most common:
- Backgrounds: One of the most important assets in a game is the background. Regardless of the other smaller add-ons in the foreground, the background sets the scene and ambiance, so it’s crucial you find a high quality product that fits your theme.
- Tilesets: Tilesets are utilized for tile-based games that use a series of tessellating shapes, typically square or hexagonal, to create a seamless texture. Usually, tilesets, if designed well, appear as a single image so that players are unaware the game uses multiple tiles.
- Characters: Arguably the most critical, characters are an indispensable element of any game. As many digital characters are the reason for a game’s popularity, finding the perfect one, whether that be a zombie or a sumo wrestler, can often mean make or break.
Why Sell 2D Game Assets
There are a number of advantages to selling your 2D art assets, all of which make the effort worth it:
- Serves as an extra source of revenue: Believe it or not, many artists don’t necessarily create new products, but instead, use what’s left over from a completed project.
- Allows you to try new things: You could also use it to hone in on your skills in a specific area that your full-time job may not allow you to explore.
- Creates more content for your portfolio: Studios and recruiters love to see improvement. By working on 2D assets consistently, your portfolio will continue to show new progress.
- Puts your product in front of big studios and experienced artists: Sites such as the ones mentioned above are platforms for big-name sellers and buyers alike, which means that your potential client could be a well-known studio or a seasoned artist who could provide helpful feedback.
How to Sell 2D Art Assets
In a perfect world, selling your 2D art assets should be easy—simply upload your assets to a platform and set your price. That’s why it’s vital that you choose a reliable platform that puts both their sellers and customers before themselves.
Cubebrush makes this process hassle-free for artists. From marketing on sellers’ behalf to offering a competitive 95/5 split to creating a community where veteran artists and big studios frequent (knowing they can find quality), Cubebrush is the ideal marketplace for 2D games assets, as well as other types of digital art alike.
As a tight-knit but expansive platform where CG artists and their art takes the spotlight, Cubebrush has buyers and sellers covered on all fronts.